What if you want to have a conversation with someone, but you don’t remember their phone number? What if you want to leave the office but you don’t want to miss an important phone call? FortiVoice now supports Alexa, which allows you to operate your FortiVoice unit through voice commands.
In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the process by configuring FortiVoice, setting up an Amazon account to enable the FortiVoice skill and then we’ll provide a quick overview of what you can do with Alexa in FortiVoice.
- Go to Phone System > Advanced Settings > Miscellaneous.
- Enable Amazon Alexa under the Internet of Things section and select Apply.
- Go to Call Features > Internet of Things.
- Select New.
- Enter the user’s email address and create a password.
- Select the applicable extension for the user.
- Select the Amazon Alexa service for the extension. If you wish to use the phone to initiate requests to Alexa, enable FortiVoice Extension.
- Select Create and then Yes.
Configuring Amazon Alexa
With FortiVoice configured, we can now focus on setting up Amazon Alexa. First, we’ll need to access the user portal to authorize the Alexa extension.
- Go to Internet of Things.
- Select the Authorize my extension link.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Enter your Amazon username and password or create a new one.
- Enter the user portal email and authorization code.
- Add the FortiVoice skill through Amazon.
Using Amazon Alexa
With Amazon Alexa now configured, you can now use the device in conjunction with FortiVoice.
To use Alexa, simply dial *91 before issuing a command.
Here are a few examples of commands you can issue Alexa:
- You could ask Alexa to set FortiVoice to do not disturb by simply saying “Ask FortiVoice to turn on do not disturb”.
- You could ask Alexa to call a person in your office by saying “Ask Fortivoice to call John”. Now, if there are multiple Johns, Alexa will respond asking you to clarify by providing the person’s last name.
- You could enable call forwarding by saying “Ask FortiVoice to turn on call forwarding <number>.